Friday, May 25, 2007

Windows Vista Update

I have been trying to install Windows Vista Ultimate (Thanks Sonic!) on my "new" Gateway GM5072. It has a fast processor, 2GB RAM, large hard drive, and everything I need, it even says Vista Capable. But it won't install Vista. After calling Microsoft, Gateway, and over 20 installs, nothing worked.

Last night I received a call from a "high level" microsoft tech that showed me a different way to install by not putting the product key, and formatting the hard drive and deleting all partitions. He said if this doesn't work, we would have to unplug some devices..... It didn't work.

So this morning, instead of waiting for his follow up call, I went ahead and opened up the PC (voiding my warranty) and unplugged the 15 in 1 media card reader. Tried installing it again. And BAM! It worked! I can't believe that it took me 5 days and over 20 installs to get this right.

So who sucks more? Microsoft or Gateway? No comment. :)

FYI: I like Newegg better than Gateway

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did I say, Fernando? I told you it was incompatible hardware. I've seen this too many times at work. Vista-'Compatible' machines that won't install Vista even if you format your hard drive. It's such a scam... *shakes head in disbelief*

fchenod said...

Yup, so who's at fault? Computer makers for putting the Windows Capable stickers or Microsoft for making a software that's so incompatible? My answer:

BOTH!!!

Now that I have installed, it goes crazy sometimes. I can't even install Office 2007!

I might just buy a new computer when Sonic gets a new job.